Be a Bookworm!

We have been implementing a new approach to learning our spelling patterns this week.  We use the Words Their Way program and have been using the sorting routines of sorting all year.  This has worked well but I have noticed the attention of some of my kiddos is not lasting in during small group instruction.  Since this is the most important time for them to learn their spelling patterns, I came up with a new approach, Be a Bookworm!  I created 54 mini-pages that cover our spelling patterns for the within-word pattern spellers.  On Monday, we complete the first page as a group during small group, I use it to guide instruction and they are held accountable for learning during our group.  Then, on Thursdays they complete the second page independently to see where their level of mastery is before taking their test on Friday.  We tried it out a little early this week, and here's a few pictures of it in action!
We use chips to count phonemes, which is one of the tasks on the mini-page that correlates with one of our spelling patterns this week. This seems like such a simple task, but it has proven to be very difficult for my 2nd graders. 

Here's an example of a completed "Monday" page, the mini-pages tasks change with different spelling patterns but the sorting chart and highlighting stays the same with all patterns. We record words onto the sorting chart while we're sorting our word cards, so we can talk about the pattern, sort it and then write it. 

Here's an example of a finished week, the introductory page is on the left and the assessment page is on the right. 

These fun, decoding bookmarks are also included in the pack to help my kiddos remember to use their spelling pattern skills!  Using these mini-pages this week during our instruction kept my kiddos engaged and accountable which was a big improvement from last week!  If you're interested in checking out the pack further, you can click on either image below.



If you'd like to win a FREE copy of this pack, leave a comment below and I'll pick a winner by tomorrow night! : )

24 comments:

  1. Love it!

    Vanessa
    Laprincessa79@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - it looks great!

    Allyson
    suttonal821@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I love how the pages fit right into the notebook. Happy to follow you, thanks for the chance to win!

    Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My second graders sometimes frighten me with things they don't know but should! THis phoncs pack might be just the ticket!

    Fingers crossed...

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana this looks awesome! I love that you incorporate phonemic awareness along with phonics! The bookmarks are a great way to help the kids recall their spelling strategies! Thanks for the chance to win! :o)

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. Carlyhertz@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful, Deana!! I just started using WTW this year... SO much better than a traditional spelling program! Your pack would be great for my intervention group! :)

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire
    edukate.inspire@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like you know what my kids need help with! I LOVE it! My second graders would benefit from this pack!

    Jenna
    I've Got It Made in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this! Such a neat idea.
    docketta@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic pack! My sweet kiddos would grow by leaps and bounds with this! Absolutely LOVING the bookworm theme :)

    Erin Elizabeth
    cpieterman@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantabulous idea! I am hoping my lucky star shines nice and bright tonight, and I get the chance to win this.
    Tania
    mysecondsense@gmail.com
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! You have made another great unit! I would love to win a copy of it so I can start it on Monday morning! Keep up the great ideas! Leisa
    chrisbush@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks awesome!

    Kathy
    kburch@sjbplymouth.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking resource! Lindsey - lmburto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is very neat! My kids get bored with the same spelling routines. I am always looking for a way to revamp spelling. This is perfect!

    Kristi
    Lucky in Learning

    ReplyDelete
  16. This would be great!

    rtwigg@g.clemson.edu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful!

    Christina :)
    Apples, Books, and Crayons
    applesbooksandcrayons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool! We use words their way also. This is a nice way to spice it up a bit!

    emelie.larson7@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking good! What a great idea to help with those tricky patterns :)

    amanda.j.beck@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to agree when you mentioned how many second graders have difficulty counting phonemes....I was just mentioning this to my student teacher today!
    Would love to get a copy of this! :)
    Jen
    murphy_j2@ohlsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd LOVE a copy of this unit! Fabulous!!!
    sbigham3@nc.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. We use WTW faithfully at my school and this would be such an enhancement to our word work resource bank!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We use WTW at our school but we have had no PDs or help with it so this would be a wonderful tool!!

    ReplyDelete