More Charts!

UPDATE: The winner of the Fractions for Fourth Graders Pack is Cherie!  An e-mail is coming your way : )

I was in the mood to make some charts last week.  I don't know why, and it doesn't happen very often but I made three different charts and that is a lot for me! Usually I stick to the whiteboard and erase my masterpieces after we talk about them : )  Since I did promise some pictures here are the charts I created and used last week.  Oh and I ran out of white paper...so I had to go with manila. 

First we jumped head first into our editing unit this week.  I use the Lucy Calkin's Units of Writing loosely and this chart is modeled from her lesson.  We will work on editing for the next 2-3 weeks.

We had to review formal vs. informal writing since my kiddos thought informal writing meant to write mean things about the other person.  Even though this was clearly not what we learned earlier, but anyway we needed some review so, we used this little sort that I threw together and I plan on adding to it this week. 

We also began our NBT math standards and started off with how to show a number.  We had briefly touched on this at the beginning of the year so they knew most of them and we haven't done anything with money (besides our behavior bank) so they aren't very good with that yet. Remember this chart from last year? Well here's this year's chart. Not sure why it looks so yellow but it is really colorful.  I like to create charts again with each class since they get so much more out of than if I just taped up last years charts. Plus, I like to try new things when I make new charts. 


In ELA this week we will work on week two of my Freedom unit which is all about Martin Luther King Jr.  We set up some background knowledge by reading Magic Tree House: Civil War on Sunday last week.  We discussed slavery and the outcome of the Civil War in very simple terms so we will jump forward a few years to start talking about Civil Rights over the next three weeks. 

Also my sweet husband and I worked together this week on a new pack for his 4th graders!  I know this is a Primary blog and that usually means K-2 but if anyone is interested or knows anyone who teaches 4th here is our collaboration!  It is jammed packed with games, centers and activities to teach the 4th grade fraction standards.  The packet is directly aligned to the 4th grade CCSS. 

If anyone is interested in winning a FREE copy of this 4th grade pack, comment below (don't forget to leave your e-mail) and we will announce a winner tomorrow night!  

11 comments

  1. Fractions are one great topic to teach! My son is learning them right now. Fingers crossed.
    tania
    My Second Sense

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deana! I am not interested in the pack (although it looks wonderful), but your anchor charts are fantastic. Just pinned them :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fractions pack would be great to use with my nephew !

    Lindsey - lmburto@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you and your husband collaborate! I could definitely use this pack with my tutoring group. :)

    cathy@missversteeg.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also work with an older student from time to time, so this would be great! Looks like you two make a great team...this looks fantastic~

    tokyoshoes (at) hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Your pack looks great as usual!
    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We taught fractions to our students 2 weeks and this would have been great! I went anchor chart overboard last weekend!
    Ekanaley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the fractions pack looks like it includes things I could use with my third graders, too. How cool that you and your husband work together! Love it!!
    Reyesremarkablerants at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I just stumbled on your blog through TPT. I downloaded your super awesome Seasons pack because I'm working on that unit this week, and I decided to check out your blog. You have some great stuff! I'm excited to be following you now :)

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. teaching summer school for first time! would love this
    paula brown

    ReplyDelete