My Favorite 2nd Grade Things!

The winner of the Clovers, Coins and Common Core pack is Julia!  Congratulations, an e-mail is coming your way!

I received an e-mail today, well actually my principal received an e-mail today asking for my grade level to share the resources we have found to help with the CCSS transition and as I e-mailed back a list I thought maybe other 2nd grade teachers would be interested as well.  This is a short list of my very favorite things that I have purchased this year through TPT for 2nd grade.  They are all awesome and have helped us tremendously!  We bought multiple licenses for our grade level so we could all use them and be on the same page. 

The first are from Second Story Window, I seriously LOVE all these resources.  I used to create my own homework each week and this is better than anything I could come up with.  I send home 4 ELA and 4 Math mini sheets per week plus a Fluency passage.  Homework goes home Friday and is due the following Friday (I also send home a Words Their Way spelling list and activities). It's SO easy and the best part is all I have to do is copy them each week and staple my directions page to the top! I also use the fluency homework during small group.  I didn't start using these into a few months into the year so I had some early ones to catch up on. I also love that since we use the morning work book in class my kids are well practiced in answering the types of questions that are also on the homework sheets. 




The next resources come from Denise at Sunny Days in Second Grade.  Our county has been all about "formative assessment" this year and my head was spinning as to how I was supposed to make formative assessments to keep up with all the standards when most of my time was spent preparing materials for lessons!  Well, then I found these.  They have assessments for EVERY 2nd grade CCSS.  There is a Math pack and an ELA pack.  They are great for end of the week assessments too.  They come with answer keys and a great checklist to keep up with each student's progress. 





While I have bought MANY amazing things from TPT, I have to say that these are worth their weight in gold mostly because I use them ALL the time.  They have saved me so much time and have truly helped in understanding the standards.

In addition to this we also use many of the resources I have created, especially the Math Problem of the Day packs (a 4th nine weeks pack will be coming!).  I start each math lesson with one of these problems, sometimes to introduce a topic, other times to check for understanding or to review. 
I am also just now getting into themed centers since we no longer have to us a basal reading series and my kids are all about it.  When I introduce new themed centers they go crazy and want to start "playing" them right away. You can check out all my ELA Units if you click on the ELA tab at the top of the blog. 

We also have been working very hard on improving our mClass scores from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. Since we hear that these may be used to determine our growth in the next year or so, we want to make sure our kiddos are making as much growth as possible. I use these short answer sheets in small group and whole group during literacy block.  They are super easy to differentiate for my kiddos too.


This year has been quite an adjustment for the 2nd grade team and myself.  We went from using a basal reading series (Houghton Mifflin) religiously to now we have a brand new curriculum, new assessment methods and are free to choose our books we read each week (we use an exemplar list but we still get quite a bit to choose from).  If you are struggling with transitioning to the CCSS, please check out some of these great resources.  They have been very helpful for me this year!






1 comment:

  1. I just finished cutting out your Crazy for the Common Core Valentine's Day Centers! They are so beautiful! I cannot wait to use them next week with my second graders. I have the resources you posted above and agree that they are great! My students do three homework sheets a week and a fluency sheet. I also love Denise's packets! They have been so helpful this year! I have added your St. Patty's Day Centers to my wishlist and will be purchasing them shortly! Thanks so much for your amazing products!

    ReplyDelete