Non-Fiction Text Features and How-To-Make a Preview

Late last night I put together some posters to teach non-fiction text features.  There is an mClass comprehension question that asks about text features and I had never really taught them in K-2 but I think they are great to introduce!  I created 14 text features posters which you can get by clicking on the preview below!

I also used these to do a great activity with my kiddos today.  I introduced each poster, taped them up all around the room and then gathered up some different non-fiction books I had in the room (dictionary, weekly reader, biography and just normal non-fiction books).  I would project a part of the book (a text feature) on the SmartBoard using the Elmo and my students would walk and stand in front of the poster that identified the text feature.  They loved it and compared it to 4 corners.  

Also, I had an e-mail from a sweet follower asking how to make a preview.  I wondered the SAME thing when I started making things for TPT and there seemed like there wasn't a tutorial anywhere to be found.  I'm not good enough to take and edit a video so I figured I would just post the steps on how I make a preview.  I'm sure that some do it differently, but this works for me!

*Let me say that I use a Mac and Microsoft Office 2011.  I am pretty sure the steps are similar in other versions of Office but they may differ slightly*

1. Make your packet in PowerPoint. I always used word until I found out I could change the orientation of PowerPoint (page layout) and now I only use PowerPoint since it lets me move things around so much easier.  If you want to copy and past something you made in word to PP, make sure you copy it and then select PASTE SPECIAL or it won't have the right formatting.

2. Save your created PowerPoint presentation as a JPEG, not a PowerPoint presentation.  You can change this when you click SAVE.  This is in the same spot where you would usually save it as a PDF. There is a drop down menu. This works so much better than a screenshot, since screenshots usually end up being fuzzy. This will save each slide as a picture, I usually put it on the desktop so they're easy to retrieve.

3. Open a blank presentation. You only need 1 slide for the preview. I put digital scrapbook paper on the slide first so it looks pretty. You can get digital scrapbook paper from lots of places but be careful of the terms of use.  I like dreamlike magic's paper best!

4. Open the folder where you saved the pictures of each slide. Drag and drop the pictures you saved from your presentation into the new presentation.

5.  Resize the pictures until they look how you would like. You can rearrange them to bring them forward or send them behind other pictures by right-clicking and choosing ARRANGE.

6. Once you have finalized the slide, save it again as a JPEG.

7. Upload the JPEG preview to TPT or your blog.

If that is confusing or you would like more clarification, just let me know.  Feel free send this link to anyone who is also wondering how to make a preview!
Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a great unit! Thanks for the directions for making a preview. I had always wondered how to do it and couldn't find any tutorial on it. I muddled my way through using print screen and my graphics art program. The only thing I could never figure out is how everyone gets the background to look so perfect. I thought you were all using the little background squares, but when I enlarged them, they got really blurry. I will now look into digital scrapbook paper. Thanks so much for the clarification.

    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posters look amaze!!! I linked up on the K-2 linky party and just found you! I am your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my blog - I share it with my bestie and first grade teaching buddy, Rebecca!

    ~ Katie
    First Grade ABCs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the tutorial! Love your blog.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Lori, Rebecca and Katie! I'm glad it was helpful! Thanks for the e-mail Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tutorial! I am your newest follower!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'm your 100th follower and excited to find your blog.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your welcome Lori, I'm so glad you found the blog and it was helpful! YAY for Kimberly, thanks for being my 100th follower!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these Non-Fiction text posters. So glad I found them. Now I won't have to make them. Thanks.
    Petersons-Pad

    ReplyDelete